Monday, July 2, 2012

Hello Gorgeous!

I love my body. I don't apologize for that, and I do consider it a revolutionary act. I didn't always love my body. It was a conscious decision that I made. It was a really tough decision, and it's one I continue to work on making every single minute of every single day.

Our world makes it SO hard to love your body. Body shame is EVERYWHERE! Whenever I turn on the TV or open a magazine (neither of which I do very often), someone is telling me about this great new thing I can do to my body to make it better, because right now it sucks. Or they're making fun of someone who has an "imperfect" body. When I hang out with my friends, they're talking about the most recent diet or exercise regimen they're on, or they're commiserating about the parts of their bodies they hate. You can't escape it!

And let's talk about that ideal of the "perfect" body. In college, I lived with a woman who was tall, blonde, skinny, leggy, and absolutely gorgeous. She could basically walk into any modeling agency in the world and book a gig in two seconds. So obviously she felt great about her body, right? No! She felt she was too tall, too skinny, etc.

As one of my coworkers said the other day, our bodies are never enough. No matter how hard we exercise or how well we eat or how good we look by societal standards (or any other standards), we will always feel that our bodies are imperfect. So I guess we have two choices: either spend our whole lives worrying about our bodies and trying to make them fit into this little box of "perfection" that doesn't actually exist. OR we accept that our bodies will always be imperfect, and we learn to LOVE those imperfections!

I know which one Ryan Gosling chooses:


No comments:

Post a Comment